Culturally Relevant Teaching Workshop Series: #1
Title: Using Student Voice to Impact Culturally Responsive Learning Community
Presenters: David Nieslanik-Principal, Students from the Principal’s Equity Advisory Council, Southridge High School, Beaverton School District
Description: Students from Southridge High School's Principal Equity Advisory Council and SRHS Staff will share their journey about how to increase, use and listen to student voice to address Anti-Bias and Anti-Racist equity work. Student representatives will facilitate small-group conversations on how to increase and celebrate student and parent voice in a culturally responsive learning community.
Bio: David Nieslanik serves as Principal at Southridge High School in Beaverton, Oregon. Participating Southridge High School students will co-present this workshop. These students helped establish and grow the Principal's Equity Advisory Council (PEAC). A diverse group of students who help guide equity and race conversations.
Professional Development Units Offered: 2
This workshop is part of our Culturally Relevant Teaching Virtual Workshop Series.
Workshops will address the following Culturally Relevant Teaching practices (developed by Beaverton School District Equity Office and teacher representatives):
1. Know Yourself- Explore how educator’s own experiences, attitudes, assumptions, values, and beliefs around race, language, culture, gender, and class impact their teaching and learning.
2. Know Your Students- Learn how race, language, culture, gender, and class shape students' beliefs and expectations about learning.
3. Capitalize On Student Expertise-Learn about students’ cultural capital – strengths and experiences they bring into the classroom.
4. Make Language Count- Leverage the languages used in the classroom – vocabulary, nonverbal communications, native languages, and culturally specific communication styles.
Who should participate and why?
Educators should participate to:
- Leverage their CRT practices
- Learn new ideas, materials, and strategies
- Learn what other districts are doing and how they're problem solving