WorldOregon is hiring a Marketing & Communications Coordinator. This is a unique opportunity to use your marketing and communication skills and interest in global issues to work with Oregon's premier international affairs organization and contribute to its mission of connecting Oregonians to the world.
We're Seeking a Marketing & Communications Coordinator
(Application deadline is July 27, 2018)
WHAT THIS IS: A unique opportunity to use your marketing and communication skills and interest in global issues to work with Oregon's premier international affairs organization and contribute to its mission of "connecting Oregonians to the world."
WHO YOU ARE: A GREAT communicator and project manager with strong marketing instincts and background. You are adept at building media lists, communication planning and strategy, marketing support for events, and acting as liaison between WorldOregon and print, digital, radio and TV outlets. You know your way around websites and databases, both front and back end, and are conversant with all major forms of social media. You are an organized, highly motivated self-starter who works well in fast-paced, dynamic environment and enjoys collaborating with smart, interesting people. You are passionate about the larger world. You think the mission of WorldOregon is important for the larger community and you are excited to help tell that story across multiple platforms. In a nutshell, we are looking for someone who is well-rounded in the marketing and communications field - someone who feels as comfortable and adept at forging strong, local media relations and coverage as they are writing compelling, branded web copy and developing strategic digital marketing campaigns.
WHO WE ARE: Founded in 1950, WorldOregon, formerly known as the World Affairs Council of Oregon, is the oldest nonpartisan, nonprofit international affairs organization in Oregon that connects Oregonians to the world. WorldOregon has 12 employees, many volunteers, and three main areas of activity: Public Programs (3-6 public programs per month on global issues and ideas including the International Speakers Series (four world-renowned speakers annually); the Global Classroom (K-12 education program and youth and teacher training; 8,000+ kids served annually); and the International Visitor & Training Program (organizes short-term visits for over 500 adult and 50 youth emerging leaders from over 100 countries each year). Check our website at www.worldoregon.org.
WHAT YOU’LL DO: JOB DESCRIPTION
Title: Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Type of Position: Full-time Employee (up to 37.50 hours per week; additional hours with pre-approval); Non-exempt; Reports to Development Director
Hourly Pay Rate $15-17 per hour, depending on experience
Benefits: WorldOregon offers a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision insurance, holidays, sick leave, vacation, simple IRA, life insurance and TriMet pass
Start Date: August/September 2018 (exact date TBD)
Position Summary/Mission: To create and implement marketing and communication strategies and to cultivate a recognizable brand that reflects WorldOregon’s mission and values, and helps grow our community of members and supporters.
Marketing /Communications: Coordinate the production of compelling and professional stories and collateral
• Develop and coordinate collateral materials which support WorldOregon brand consistency and messaging, while conveying the WorldOregon’s vibrancy within the larger community
• Assist Development Director and Membership Manager with email and direct mail campaigns with current and prospective members and donors, as well as corporate sponsorship options.
• Create communications plan and manage marketing and advertising that maximizes media coverage, community buzz, and series ticket sales for the annual International Speaker Series
• Coordinate the dissemination of stories and promotions, as well as regular press releases for all programs, through all appropriate channels
• Work with WorldOregon staff to routinely refresh all existing content and materials
• Cultivate new avenues for promotion to keep up with the rapidly evolving media environment and to take advantage of more cost effective advertising opportunities
• Work actively and continually to position WorldOregon as the “go to” organization for all things international in Oregon
Website and Social Media: Maintain and constantly improve website working with technical contractor, ensuring that content is dynamic, up to the minute, and informative
• Continually analyze and modify the website to improve navigability and user experience
• Work with each department head to improve departmental pages (Development, Global Classroom, Global Conversations, and International Visitor Programs)
• Assist/train staff to enable them to update their own content
• Ensure the proper functionality of all links, shopping carts, etc.
• Coordinate all social media outreach: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Flickr, etc.
• Manage permissions for use of video/photo/quotations etc.
Required skills and attributes:
• EXCELLENT oral and written communication skills
• Bachelor’s degree; journalism/communications or marketing preferred
• 2-4 years of work experience in journalism, communications, or marketing essential
• Excellent time management and organizational skills
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word/Excel/PowerPoint), Adobe Suite (Photoshop/InDesign), and web design and database (Nationbuilder experience a plus)
• Self-starter; team player with sense of humor and strong work ethic
• Interest in international issues and commitment to the mission of WorldOregon
To apply, please do the following:
1. Write a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the Marketing & Communications Coordinator position.
2. Include a current resume with a brief portfolio of projects demonstrating your competency in the required areas, including a writing sample.
3. List of three to five references, including a recent supervisor or someone familiar with your work
4. Email or mail materials to the addresses below; no telephone calls, please.
Marketing & Communications Coordinator Search
1207 SW Broadway, Suite 300
Portland, OR 97205